Corona and insurances
Are you going on a trip and wondering how corona affects travelling?
Are you a commercial customer? Read more about your company's insurances and the coronavirus.
Travel insurance and quarantine
Please note that quarantine coverage is no longer valid for trips starting on or after January 1, 2023.
What is quarantine cover?
- Quarantine cover is a free-of-charge additional cover to our customers, who have a continuous travel insurance.
- Quarantine cover covers necessary travel and lodging expenses, if you are placed into quarantine due to exposure at your travel destination.
- Quarantine cover is valid on journeys abroad beginning between 1.12.2021-31.12.2022, that last up to 45 days.
- Quarantine cover is valid in EU and Schengen countries, as well as Great Britain.
Quarantine coverage is not included in our temporary travel insurance, but may be a part of leisure travel insurance provided by some trade unions. Please contact our customer service to ask more.
What does the quarantine cover compensate?
- The quarantine cover compensates reasonable and necessary additional expenses due to lodging in the travel destination and the return flight back to Finland.
- Compensation is paid up to 14 days, should you unexpectedly be placed into quarantine by officials while traveling abroad.
- Compensation is paid up to 1000 euros/trip and insured.
What do we not compensate through the quarantine cover?
- Compensation is not paid, for example, for concert or event tickets, should you be unable to attend them due to your quarantine.
- Compensation is not paid if you were aware of your quarantine beforehand. This type of a situation can occur, if quarantine is a pre-requisite for entering the country or region.
- Compensation is not paid for a cancelled journey abroad, if you are quarantined already in Finland while healthy, and therefore cannot embark on your journey.
How do I report damage for the quarantine cover?
- Pay additional travel and lodging expenses first yourself and save the receipts.
- After this, you can file a claim through your continuous travel insurance.
Frequently asked: travel insurance and the coronavirus
Does my travel insurance cover
falling ill with the coronavirus while traveling abroad?
As such, we cover expenses related to having coronavirus just as we would cover other travel illnesses, such as a stomach flu or an ear infection. If you become ill during your trip, seek primary consultation from doctors that have a collaboration contract with If (in Finnish).
If your trip is discontinued due to coronavirus and as a result you have additional travel or lodging costs, you are required to provide a medical certificate.
Travel insurance does not cover quarantine due to exposure while traveling, if you are healthy and do not show symptoms of the coronavirus.
In certain situations we do cover additional traveling or lodging expenses due to journey cancellations or journey discontinuations.
If a family member, for example an underaged child or your next of kin (as defined in our terms and conditions) travel companion falls ill with the coronavirus, it is possible that we can cover the journey being cancelled, or the additional traveling or lodging expenses due to journey discontinuations.
falling ill with the coronavirus while traveling domestically?
If your travel insurance includes an additional cover for domestic journeys in Finland or has already originally been valid worldwide, it is normally valid should you fall ill or be injured during your domestic journey. We also cover treatment expenses if you fall ill with the coronavirus during your journey, as well as expenses acquired due to your journey being cancelled. In order to process the compensation case, we need a medical certificate.
does travel insurance cover testing for the coronavirus?
We cover coronavirus testing when it is done via doctor's referral. This requires for you to have symptoms related to the coronavirus and to have already embarked on your journey i.e. fallen ill during your journey.
We do not cover coronavirus tests done before your journey, should you need a negative test result to board your flight or enter a country, for example.
what should I do, if I become sick while traveling abroad?
1. If you fall ill or injure yourself while on vacation, seek help primarily from one of If's contract hospitals. This page is available in Finnish.
2. At the doctor's office, please show your travel insurance card or certificate. You can easily find it on My Pages, which is available in Finnish and Swedish.
3. If you pay the expenses yourself, keep the receipts. Report a claim as soon as you arrive in Finland either online or through our customer service.
4. You can also ask us for an obligation to pay while on your journey by calling +358 10 19 19 19. Choose option 1 for personal damage or illness, and then press 1 for emergency abroad.
cancelling my journey due to the pandemic worsening?
Can I cancel or discontinue my journey, if the coronavirus situation worsens?
We do not cover expenses, should you wish to cancel or discontinue your journey due to the coronavirus situation. This kind of an event could be, if the state of the pandemic would worsen in Finland, and you would no longer want to travel. In such an event, you should contact your travel provider or place of accommodation.
If a travel ban is set to your travel destination due to corona?
Travel insurance does not cover cancellation of a journey due to coronavirus recommendations, restrictions or circumstances within the travel destination.
If the airline cancels a flight abroad?
If the airline cancels a flight, for example due to scarcity of passengers or new official rulings of the destination country, compensation is not paid. Compensation is also not paid if the officials in Finland recommend the cancellation of the journey due to the coronavirus situation worsening. In such an event, you should contact your travel provider, airline and place of stay.
If I catch the corona and cannot embark on my journey?
If you fall ill with the coronavirus and cannot leave for your journey, we will cover flights paid in advance, hotels, and activities up to 5000 euros. If the illness prevents traveling, you can seek compensation based on an doctor's certificate. A positive result through a home test does not qualify for compensation due to cancellation of journey.
Personal insurance and the coronavirus - what is covered?
We cover expenses arising from falling ill with the coronavirus, such as doctor's fees, prescription medicine, and hospital care fees, as well as coronavirus testing when done via doctor's referral. You may receive compensation for expenses related to the test, if you have symptoms related to the coronavirus illness. Please check your insurance's deductible on My Pages or your insurance policy book.
We do not cover expenses arising from the following:
- coronavirus testing, if you are symptomless, or exposed and symptomless
- antibody testing
- testing for corona before traveling
- corona certificates
We do not cover expenses arising from quarantine.
As our personal insurance customer, you have access to our If Health services, such as health guidance and remote doctor services. Remote doctor can also assist you with questions related to corona.
Life insurance and the corona vaccine
The corona vaccination does not impact the compensation of life insurance.
Further information about coronavirus symptoms, falling ill with it, and staying protected can be found on THL's website.