Corona and insurances
Read up on how travel insurance covers expenses from falling ill with the corona or expenses due to quarantine.
Here you can also find information on how sickness insurance covers situations related to the coronavirus.
This winter we will travel by your side even more closely. As our continuous travel insurance customer, you now have additional coverage in case of quarantine due to exposure to corona, should you travel in the EU, Schengen countries or Great Britain.
What is quarantine cover?
- Quarantine cover is a free-of-charge additional cover to our customers, who have a continuous travel insurance.
- Quarantine cover covers necessary travel and lodging expenses, if you are placed into quarantine due to exposure at your travel destination.
- Quarantine cover is valid on journeys abroad beginning between 1.12.2021-31.3.2022, that last up to 45 days.
- Quarantine cover is valid in EU and Schengen countries, as well as Great Britain.
What does the quarantine cover compensate?
- The quarantine cover compensates reasonable and necessary additional expenses due to lodging in the travel destination and the return flight back to Finland.
- Compensation is paid up to 14 days, should you unexpectedly be placed into quarantine by officials while traveling abroad.
- Compensation is paid up to 1000 euros/trip and insured.
What do we not compensate through the quarantine cover?
- Compensation is not paid, for example, for concert or event tickets, should you be unable to attend them due to your quarantine.
- Compensation is not paid if you were aware of your quarantine beforehand. This type of a situation can occur, if quarantine is a pre-requisite for entering the country or region.
- Compensation is not paid for a cancelled journey abroad, if you are quarantined already in Finland while healthy, and therefore cannot embark on your journey.
How do I report damage for the quarantine cover?
Does my travel insurance cover
If your coronavirus test comes back positive, you can apply for compensation based on your treatment expenses. You can also apply for compensation based on additional travelling or lodging costs, should your journey be discontinued. Additional lodging costs may also occur due to having to isolate after catching the coronavirus.
As such, we cover expenses related to having the coronavirus just as we would cover other travel illnesses, such as the stomach flu or an ear infection.
Travel insurance does not cover quarantine due to exposure while traveling, if you are healthy and do not show symptoms of the coronavirus.
In certain situations we do cover additional traveling or lodging expenses due to journey cancellations or journey discontinuations.
If a family member, for example an underaged child or your next of kin (as defined in our terms and conditions) travel companion falls ill with the coronavirus, it is possible that we can cover the journey being cancelled, or the additional traveling or lodging expenses due to journey discontinuations.
If your travel insurance includes an additional cover for domestic journeys in Finland or has already originally been valid worldwide, it is normally valid should you fall ill or be injured during your domestic journey. We also cover treatment expenses if you fall ill with the coronavirus during your journey, as well as expenses acquired due to your journey being cancelled, if you catch the coronavirus before embarking on your journey.
We cover coronavirus testing when it is done via doctor's referral. This requires for you to have symptoms related to the coronavirus and to have already embarked on your journey i.e. fallen ill during your journey.
We do not cover coronavirus tests done before your journey, should you need a negative test result to board your flight or enter a country, for example.
1. If you fall ill or injure yourself while on vacation, seek help primarily from one of If's contract hospitals. This page is available in Finnish.
2. At the doctor's office, please show your travel insurance card or certificate. You can easily find it on My Pages, which is available in Finnish and Swedish.
3. If you pay the expenses yourself, keep the receipts. Report a claim as soon as you arrive in Finland either online or through our customer service.
4. You can also ask us for an obligation to pay while on your journey by calling +358 10 19 19 19. Choose option 1 for personal damage or illness, and then press 1 for emergency abroad.
5. Did you know that as a customer of If, you can access the HelpMe app free of charge? HelpMe assists you with medical questions worldwide and allows you to contact a doctor when necessary. HelpMe offers service in Finnish and Swedish.
Can I cancel or discontinue my journey, if the coronavirus situation worsens?
We do not cover expenses, should you wish to cancel or discontinue your journey due to the coronavirus situation. This kind of an event could be, if the state of the pandemic would worsen in Finland, and you would no longer want to travel. In such an event, you should contact your travel provider or place of accommodation.
If a travel ban is set to your travel destination due to corona?
Travel insurance does not cover cancellation of a journey due to coronavirus recommendations, restrictions or circumstances within the travel destination.
If the airline cancels a flight abroad?
If the airline cancels a flight, for example due to scarcity of passengers or new official rulings of the destination country, compensation is not paid. Compensation is also not paid if the officials in Finland recommend the cancellation of the journey due to the coronavirus situation worsening. In such an event, you should contact your travel provider, airline and place of stay.
If I catch the corona and cannot embark on my journey?
If you fall ill with the coronavirus and cannot leave for your journey, we will cover flights paid in advance, hotels, and activities up to 5000 euros.
5 tips for your journey
- Take your travel insurance card into use. You can easily find it on My Pages. My Pages are available in Finnish and Swedish language.
- Check what your travel insurance covers on My Pages. If you do not have a travel insurance yet, you can purchase it through our customer service.
- When travelling abroad, you will need a corona vaccination certificate, which you can download or print from My Kanta Pages.
- Read about country specific travelling updates on the foreign ministry's website.
- Read up on what to do when returning to Finland from travelling abroad. You can check the instructions on returning home from the Finnish Border Guard's website.
Personal insurance and the coronavirus - what is covered?
We cover expenses arising from falling ill with the coronavirus, such as doctor's fees, prescription medicine, and hospital care fees, as well as coronavirus testing when done via doctor's referral. You may receive compensation for expenses related to the test, if you have symptoms related to the coronavirus illness. Please check your insurance's deductible on My Pages or your insurance policy book.
We do not cover expenses arising from the following:
- coronavirus testing, if you are symptomless, or exposed and symptomless
- antibody testing
- testing for corona before traveling
- corona certificates
We do not cover expenses arising from quarantine.
As our personal insurance customer, you have access to our If Health services, such as health guidance and remote doctor services. Remote doctor can also assist you with questions related to corona.
Life insurance and the corona vaccine
The corona vaccination does not impact the compensation of life insurance.
Further information about coronavirus symptoms, falling ill with it, and staying protected can be found on THL's website.